My latest “found object” – 1981 Yamaha SR185 motorcycle. I’ve wanted to learn how to shape sheet metal from scratch for years now. I’ll be using this little bike as my excuse to finally get on it. Note my early attempt at a front fender. Gas tank etc. coming up next.
I had a few pieces recently featured in the South African version of Popular Mechanics. I was in good company too. Jeremy Mayer was on the cover and had a two page spread! Metal masters Christopher Conte, and Lawrence Northey were featured as well.
Here is a deer head trophy commission I’ve been working on. This one has the added feature of being able to position the head.
Apparently I haven’t yet had enough of the old “submarine vs. squid” theme in my work. Here are the beginning stages of the latest one. The propellor turns, and the portal window is back lit. I still plan to add some surface details (like rivets or something), and perhaps a periscope. Stay tuned for the squid!
I just got this image in my email. Apparently a Myron Brown has had several of my pieces interpreted into a full sleeve tattoo!
Many thanks to all who came out to my studio show this weekend! It was great to catch up with those of you I knew, and to meet those I didn’t.
Here are a few photos of what my showroom looked like before people started arriving. I regret that I did not take photos throughout the day. If any one has any more images to share, I’d love to see them.
Getting ready for my studio show tomorrow. If there was any doubt to my sincerity, check out how clean my work table is!
I just finally got around to upgrading the drive mechanism in my mechanical deer sculpture. It needed a more robust chain and sprocket system. All better now.
Hi all. It’s come to my attention that there is some confusion as to the date of my studio show. It will be next weekend Saturday the 26, not this coming weekend. Hope to see some of you then.
I recently put together a collection of my favorite pieces into one movie on Youtube. I figured it would be too long for the attention spans there but it seems I was wrong. Check it out:
Hey, thanks for the high praise! A much needed self-esteem bump.
It took some fumbling but I finally came up with a good way to make use of the arm movements on my little baby-robot. A diorama is in the works that will have the beast grazing in a sort of tropical environment.
The great indoors.
This is to be the background for a small diorama. Book pages glued to sheet metal.
I don’t know how I ever got anything done before I had a lathe. These are mounts for fiber optic flowers I found. A LED will be set into each one.
I’m finally getting back to working on this little guy. The motor is his shoulders pulls back on the beasties reigns causing him to graze on some faux grass I’m working on.
Here’s a look under the hood. I always have to generate a whole mess of wires before I’m satisfied that a system works well enough to tidy it up.
Loving these new strip LEDs. Hating soldering to their cruelly small connection points. Self adhesive velcro saves the day (removable mount that doubles as insulator).