Here’s a look under the hood. I always have to generate a whole mess of wires before I’m satisfied that a system works well enough to tidy it up.
Loving these new strip LEDs. Hating soldering to their cruelly small connection points. Self adhesive velcro saves the day (removable mount that doubles as insulator).
Our proletariat now has a multicolored helmet face plate and illuminated milliampere meter.
It’s a huge relief to learn that the interior box actually fits inside the big guys torso (barely!).
Added additional belt wheels today. Much more dynamic. I can’t wait to get some lighting in there too!
I just got the mechanism working for the little Homunculus that is to be installed inside my new Minotaur sculpture. I plan to fill the remaining space within the metal box with additional spinning belt wheels.
Here is the early stage of the interior of my new large figure. It will be a continuation of my “Homunculus” theme.
The little robot will turn the crank, and a whole array of belt wheels attached to it. I plan to add plenty of light effects as well.
Things got really ordinary today. I think I have the most trouble when I have to “think inside the box”. Despite my various skills, nothing confounds me like a few right angles.
I finally got the arms temporarily attached to my new sculpture. In this video only one of the hands is working. Still much to be done, but I thought I would share this first moment of seeing all the body elements in place.
Since I’m pretty happy with the design of the arm/hand mechanism, it was time to stop to stain and coat the individual wood pieces.
Little finger joints. A rare case where I had to make parts from scratch rather than finding them.
Here is the first mechanical test of the arm for my new sculpture. The wood sections are from tables and chairs. I hope to significantly clean up or replace most of the linkages for the final version, but this should give an idea of the motion.
Working out the arms and hands. I hope to make the fingers articulated with this one.
I roughed out the preliminary mechanism for the head of my latest piece yesterday. you’ll have to bear with me until I work out the internal lighting. Its a bit difficult to see the facial features in this video, but I’ll make them stand out more with LEDs.
Started working out how to mount the tiny head inside the giant helmet of my new piece today.
Here is the current plan for the face of my new large figure. As-is sections of vintage vacuum cleaner parts. I hope to mount them behind a faceplate lens and automate it to slowly move in and out of the field of focus.
I’m considering starting another really big piece. This one currently stands 7’6”. I just want to be certain that it isn’t too reminiscent of my older “Little Big Man” sculpture.
The days haul in brief: gaudy furniture parts, push mower, vacuum cleaner, bull horns, neon sign transformer, various power supplies, copious amount of bubble wrap, etc.