Loving these new strip LEDs. Hating soldering to their cruelly small connection points. Self adhesive velcro saves the day (removable mount that doubles as insulator).
Our proletariat now has a multicolored helmet face plate and illuminated milliampere meter.
I figured I’d start the new year with some new junk. The green thing is a periscope!
I recently posted a step-by-step document of the process that went into making my sculpture “Homunculus 2010” over at instructables.com. Check it out, and if you happen to be a registered member there, please vote for me in the Craftsman tools contest.
It’s a huge relief to learn that the interior box actually fits inside the big guys torso (barely!).
Added additional belt wheels today. Much more dynamic. I can’t wait to get some lighting in there too!
I just got the mechanism working for the little Homunculus that is to be installed inside my new Minotaur sculpture. I plan to fill the remaining space within the metal box with additional spinning belt wheels.
Here is the early stage of the interior of my new large figure. It will be a continuation of my “Homunculus” theme.
The little robot will turn the crank, and a whole array of belt wheels attached to it. I plan to add plenty of light effects as well.
Things got really ordinary today. I think I have the most trouble when I have to “think inside the box”. Despite my various skills, nothing confounds me like a few right angles.
Jeremy Mayer brought some of his work over to my studio today. We set up my show-room for a collector who is coming through town.
“Under The Sea” all fixed up, better than new. Upgraded LEDs on the little squid, and now the needles on the meters flick back and forth. Something I had intended to do the first time around but never got to it.
I finally got the arms temporarily attached to my new sculpture. In this video only one of the hands is working. Still much to be done, but I thought I would share this first moment of seeing all the body elements in place.
Since I’m pretty happy with the design of the arm/hand mechanism, it was time to stop to stain and coat the individual wood pieces.
Little finger joints. A rare case where I had to make parts from scratch rather than finding them.
Here is the first mechanical test of the arm for my new sculpture. The wood sections are from tables and chairs. I hope to significantly clean up or replace most of the linkages for the final version, but this should give an idea of the motion.
More photos from last weekend’s Mad Science opening at the Sonoma County Museum.
In case you missed it, my photos are posted here.
I’ve uploaded photos from the Mad Science exhibit opening reception, and SRL performance here:
Working out the arms and hands. I hope to make the fingers articulated with this one.