“The discovery of an image of boys climbing the rope in gym class brought back some early trauma for me. This piece takes a look at the sort of world in which such an activity could be considered relevant in preparation for adult life.”
Equipment case, radio tuning dial cover, doorbell button, magazine clippings, voltage meters, LEDs.
Yesterday the New York Times ran an article by Trevor Tondro about the fabulous home of Jonathan and Wendy Segal in San Diego. The impeccable taste of its owners was demonstrated by the placement of two of my smaller pieces: “Psychos-O-matic” and “A Head for Numbers” (Works by Dan Jones were also shown but not credited). Its always a joy for me to see where these pieces wind up, especially when its in homes as lovely as this.
Well, the Cuttlefish “tank” is really starting to shape up. A breakthrough moment came when I decided to throw my whole collection of stove top coffee maker lids at the ground plain. I’m not entirely sure what kind of plant they are supposed to represent, but their sheer numbers work to suggest some kind of life. I’m still on the fence about the single color changing spot light. The idea was to direct it at the large Cuttlefish’s back to suggest their color changing skin. Once I’ve added in the general “water” lights I’ll make a decision.
While researching the extremely weird Cuttlefish for this project I was stuck by the odd shape of their eyes. It’s difficult to capture all of the nuances that make these creatures, but its a start (I know, technically the irises are inverted in mine, don’t be so literal!).
The Octopus I posted a while back finally has a home! I settled on a deep blue fade background with beveled side mirrors to create a sort of infinity effect. The real trick was getting all of the seaweed (refrigerator coolant lines) to twist in sync with each other. This was important because I wanted to create the effect of a current running through the “tank”. They are powered by the motor from the seat adjust mechanism from a BMW sedan. I found it ran a little fast so the large gear was added to slow the speed and raise the torque of the system.
The long, ugly cuts in the center are to allow for strips of LEDs to illuminate the interior. I’m pretty anxious now to move on to that stage so I can see how it looks all lit up.
A good deal of work still remains. I hope to better develop the floor and raise the Octopus higher to better center it in the frame. More little jelly fish will also be added to the background.